spiritual direction training program
Two Year Certificate in Spiritual Direction
Hole in the Rock Ministries, as a regional affiliate of Christian Formation and Direction Ministries offers a two-year certificate program in Christian Formation and Spiritual Direction, involving 6-8 intensives of 3-4 days, monthly retreat days, monthly spiritual direction, supervision for individual direction, group spiritual direction, and relation to a network of spiritual directors for peer supervision and support.
NEXT COHORT BEGINNING MAY 2020 in Fresno. We have delayed the start of our first cohort to allow a few more people to join. If you are interested, there is still time to apply. Application deadline is April 15th, 2020.
CLICK HERE (COMING SOON) to download an Application and detailed program information, including program dates and cost.
The goal of the Certificate Program in Christian Formation and Spiritual Direction is to help the student
- Mature into deeper intimacy and friendship with the Triune God.
- Develop a theology of Christian spirituality by drawing on and integrating insights from Scripture, theology, historical traditions, psychology and related fields.
- Discover the richness of one’s own spiritual tradition, as well as the gifts and blessings of other traditions.
- Learn about, and engage in, spiritual habits and practices that facilitate spiritual growth.
- Grow in balancing prayer, study and service and in developing practical wisdom based on Scripture, tradition, reason, and experience.
- Gain skills in providing individual and group spiritual direction from a Christian perspective.
- Participate in a creative partnership among Christian spiritual directors in one’s region.
Tuition for the two-year program ranges from $3,900-$4,500 depending on region, location, and facilities. Tuition includes instruction, administrative costs, reprints and other materials, lunch and some evening meals. Not included are costs for books, transportation, overnight accommodations and some evening meals and fees, if any, for individual spiritual direction and retreat days.
Admission is open to individuals [lay or clergy] from any Christian denomination who have a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent and have training or demonstrable knowledge of Scripture and theology. Life experience along with contemplative spiritual experience are highly valued as is awareness of a potential call to be a spiritual director. Admission to the program is granted by the Admissions Committee of the Regional program, composed of Faculty and Staff of the Certificate Program, when the following steps have been completed:
- A completed application form and application fee.
- A statement detailing educational background, work experience, Christian journey, involvement in church and Christian service, and interest in the program.
- Two letters of reference [one pastoral and one personal - preferably people with some familiarity with your contemplative spiritual journey.]
- An interview with one of the Program Faculty/Staff .
Todd Minturn, SD, Lynn Baker, SD, Drs. Catherine C. Gregg and Douglas H. Gregg, Co-Directors of CFDM; all Regional Directors; and other faculty and staff drawn from the regional networks.
CLICK HERE (COMING SOON) to download an Application and detailed program information, or contact Todd Minturn of the Central California region at tminturn@HoleintheRockMinistries.org.